Wednesday, November 24, 2010

What Has Changed- What Has Not?

In addition to occasional, well... frequent, questions from others, I also find I question myself!
Really, since beginning taking hormones, what has changed about me? WHAT'S DIFFERENT? WHAT'S BETTER?

I begin with the obvious (at least to me). My mind feels more clear and focused. That's likely just a by-product of the unifying process of aligning my mind, body and image. Think about it- how would you (or anyone, for that matter) deal with daily living, looking in the mirror and feeling "There's an image there that everyone else sees, but it's not me! It doesn't fit; it doesn't work!"

Now 'it' fits. 'It' works better.

And then there's the thinking process itself. For others of similar background, it will make all too much sense, but for those "conventionally wired" it may take a little imagination.
Certainly there exist stereotypical "male" thinking patterns as well as stereotypical "female" thinking patterns.
I've always been able to readily see both perspectives. Therein lay another base of inner struggle. Being able to see multiple perspectives of situations led to much second guessing- The 'male' side sees it this way, the 'female' side sees it that way. I most often and most thoroughly gravitate(d) toward the female side but I needed to keep up the male image. Therefore this is what I thought I should do, how I thought I should act. Imagine going through that process on virtually every decision, every day, involving social and business circumstances! NO MORE! Now I  look at any given situation, decide what my conscience, instincts and experience tell me and act accordingly- no pretense, no second-guessing.

Physically, my skin is getting smoother, body hair getting lighter and then the obvious (and welcomed) development in the breast area. One particularly interesting note, even though I look like I have boobs now, overall physical dimensions have remained relatively static, merely re-positioned. To be continued...:-)

Then there are the questions regarding certain capabilities that have allowed me to make a living and even prosper in my particular field of business. "Have you lost any of your mechanical abilities?" Well, in a word, NO! I'm not certain it's lady-like, nor do I care; but I still understand nuts, bolts and screws and how they connect parts and assemblies. I thoroughly understand what the assembled machines and equipment do, how they do it, what happens when they fail and how to repair them to full function again. I even have an easier time explaining to others how to acheive the remedies, just because I feel an inner calmness (patience) I never felt when my system was under the ravages of excess testosterone.

After college, I participated for a brief period in semi-professional motocross racing. I guess it's fair to say I felt a 'need for speed!' These days I enjoy the rush of 100 mph+  on the Harley,but it's not a steady diet like it used to be. Plus I've also developed a strong sense of not enjoying pain, so I certainly take a few more precautions to avoid it (pain).

Oh, yes- then there's the mystical draw of wind and water, such as experienced on a sailboat. In all of my life, regardless of what was going on, good or bad, in times when I'm able to harness the wind with a set of sails and exist with the 'flow' of the water and energy, everything else disappears for those moments. That feeling of joy when sailing has not left me and I certainly hope it never does!

Of all observations, current and retrospective, I have always realized that every person has value. I look for and find the talents. I love people, always have.

Getting back to that original main question, "What has changed?" In my mind, nothing really.

1 comment:

  1. Estrogen and the Brain

    Estrogen directly influences brain function through estrogen receptors located on neurons in multiple areas of the brain. The hormone also appears to have direct membrane-mediated effects on neurons. Its effects are both neuroprotective and neurotrophic. Estrogen has been shown to protect isolated neurons in vitro from oxidative stress, ischemic injury, hypoglycemic injury, and damage by amyloid protein, which is implicated in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease. It also stimulates production of nerve growth factors, thereby promoting neuronal growth and viability, repair of damaged neurons, and dendritic branching. Brain aging and Alzheimer's disease are thought to represent an imbalance between neuronal injury and repair.

    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/406718_2

    ReplyDelete